The Merlin functions as a Talon compression panel on our Revolution frame backpacks, but also has it's own shoulder harness and can be worn as a small frameless daypack. Main functions are daypack, load hauling compression panel, or volume & organization extender (can get extra nights out of a smaller main packbag).
The Spectra Fabric version of the Merlin is roughly twice as waterproof as the 500 denier Cordura version, and has similar abrasion resistance. YKK Aquaguard zippers improve water resistance.
- SpectraGridHT Fabric
- Three Zippered Pockets & One Mesh Stuff Pocket
- Main compartment - fits a standard laptop
- Large zippered side pocket - fits a 65mm spotting scope
- Top Security pocket - sized for headlamp, keys, or wallet
- Mesh Hydration pocket
- Integrated harness for daypack use
- Talon compatible
Named for the small, fast, and nimble falcon, the Merlin is sleek, lightweight, and highly functional. The Merlin is a daypack large enough for late season use that integrates with our Talon compression system to double as a volume extender for long trips or a compression panel for heavy hauling with a Revolution Suspension.
- Volume - 1400 ci
- Weight - 12 oz
- SpectraGridHT Fabric- 100D x 200D Spectra X-Grid, consisting of a 100 denier high tenacity nylon substrate interwoven with 200 denier Spectra (UHMWPE) threads. Spectra is 15X stronger than steel and 30% stronger than aramid, and very lightweight. The unique weave and combination of deniers in this fabric give it very interesting properties. The Spectra fibers are two times the size of the underlying nylon substrate, creating "hills and valleys" in the profile of the fabric, with Spectra being the hills. This means that the majority of abrasion is taken by the super strong Spectra fibers, which protects the nylon substrate. The result is a very lightweight fabric that performs similarly to 500 denier Cordura in our abrasion testing. This fabric features a PU coating and is rated to 1500 mm hydrostatic head, which is considered waterproof in the tent industry.