6 Person Tipi
6 Person Tipi
This shelter has all the features a backcountry traveler could wish for and is still less than 6 lbs complete. It can provide covered sleeping for 6, however most find it comfortable for 3 or 4 for long term camps. The picture below is the 2011 model, in the Mackenzie Mountains of the Northwest Territories. For 2012 we increased the sizing, added a rear screen, a dedicated vent, and included the stove jack as standard.
The seams are a hybrid vertical, horizontal construction which we feel is extremely effective at maximizing space, stability and minimizing seam sealing requirements. The front door and integrated screen are vertical seams while the rear features a combination vertical horizontal orientation. Guyout points correspond to maximizing the sleeping space. These guyout points can be used with a standard 3 -1 arrangement or vectored to provide tremendous stability in high winds and allow the shelter to expand rather than shrink with changing environmental conditions. The optional liner features a horizontal orientation, with a slightly extreme catenary cut. This cross orientation, and slightly extreme catenary cut create a dedicated air space between the two layers of fabric, while keeping the inner layer tight to maximize space.
- Two doors
- Integrated front and rear screen doors
- Sod skirt
- Storm flaps over the zipper
- Apex loops
- Apex hang loop
- Dedicated vent that can open and close
- Dedicated stove jack
- Multiple guy out points
- Apex loops and inside tie outs can be used for hanging lines, or to provide faux structure
- Diameter approx 14 feet
- Height 7′ 10″
What is included:
Stuff sacks, adjustable center pole, stakes
What is optional:
DWR Liner, 2 Person nests, custom floor options (contact for details)
The breakaway tarp can attach as an awning for mild weather use or be used in the doghouse configuration. The 2 person nest works well with this shelter.
Less than 6 lbs all inclusive.
- Reports for the 2011 model have shown this to be a very solid poor weather shelter. One couple lived in one, long term, near the coast of Alaska.
- Canopy Material – U.S.A made 30D nylon, High Tenacity 6.6 thread, with silicone coating, waterproof rating minimum 1500mm hydrostatic head. UV inhibitors in the thread as well the coating (not all competing fabrics have UV inhibitors in the coating check with your vendor) We test all fabric before we purchase.
- Cone – 2 layers Cordura reinforced
- Tie outs – Double reinforced cordura and box stitched
- Center pole – Carbon fiber telescoping 21.8 mm – 27.8 mm
- Stakes – Aluminum.
- Zipper – YKK #8 coil
- No see-um mesh